Utilizing my Macbook, I connect with the safe Wi-Fi on the hospital the place I work, and the web often works superbly. After a number of days of sleep-wake cycles, the web will get slower. Ultimately, I’m unable to even connect with Wi-Fi. I restart my pc, and it really works again–for just a few days. And the cycle continues.
It’s fairly inconvenient to restart my pc each few days. Turning Wi-Fi on and off doesn’t work. Deleting the Wi-Fi community and reconnecting doesn’t work. All that works is a system restart. The Wifi is secured with WPA2 Enterprise. The Diagnostics constructed into the OS reveal nothing in any respect. My dwelling Wi-Fi, and every other Wi-Fi community doesn’t have this difficulty, even with out restarting for months.
I’m utilizing a 2023 Macbook Professional with a Apple M2 Professional chip, operating Ventura 13.4. Curiously, I had the very same difficulty with my previous Macbook Professional, which I used to be utilizing up till 6 months in the past. I attempted calling the IT service desk, and so they had no concept the right way to assist. I have no idea of any of my colleagues with this difficulty.
Have you learnt what’s going on and the right way to repair it?
If not, is there any method to restart solely the networking? As I discussed, turning wifi on and off doesn’t clear up the issue; there have to be a method to do a “deeper” restart of the networking that may simulate what occurs after I restart the pc.
Edit – Further diagnostic data in response to feedback.
- No different processes on the Exercise Monitor with heavy community utilization
- Pinging a neighborhood IP deal with with response instances of 12,000 – 13,000 ms, so extraordinarily latent. It is a server I’m ordinarily capable of entry with no latency in any respect.
- Unable to load Quick.com.
- Tried renewing DHCP lease to no avail
- I do often transfer round fairly a bit within the hospital, however on this previous cycle the place it went from working to not working, I used to be in the identical room. Throughout this shift, the Web went from working completely early within the shift, to then after I woke it up later within the shift to being fully unusable.
- RSSI – 66dBm, Noise: -90 dBm. Appears to be steady over the course of some minutes. Full sign on the Wifi.
Edit 2 – I disconnected and reconnected the wifi which typically fixes it, typically doesn’t. This time, it did repair it. The ping to that native server is right down to ~30ms, web works simply superb, and RSSI -61 dBm, Noise -94 dBm.