Robert Triggs / Android Authority
I lately wrote an opinion article calling on the Galaxy S25 and different telephones to provide detachable batteries to go along with these prolonged replace commitments. We additionally posted a ballot inside this text, asking whether or not you thought the S25 ought to have a detachable battery. Right here’s the way you voted.
Do you suppose the Galaxy S25 ought to have a detachable battery?
This was a vastly fashionable ballot, bringing in over 10,000 votes. The winner by a landslide was the camp in favor of a detachable battery. It seems that ~66% of respondents suppose the Galaxy S25 collection ought to “completely” have a detachable battery.
We thought this might be a step in the fitting route as a smartphone with a seven-year replace pledge would possible expertise a severely degraded battery lengthy earlier than 12 months seven. There are different advantages to an simply replaceable battery too, reminiscent of with the ability to swap out to a totally charged battery in seconds.
In the meantime, ~28% of surveyed readers mentioned the Galaxy S25 ought to have a detachable battery if the design and options aren’t compromised. Both means, which means a grand complete of ~94% of respondents are open to a detachable battery.
Lastly, simply ~6% of surveyed readers don’t need the Galaxy S25 to have an simply replaceable battery.
- Bay_Ranger: Replaceable batteries are what I miss probably the most from my LG telephones. 0% to 100% in 5 seconds and no charging station wanted. I might nonetheless be utilizing LGs in the event that they existed. Some fashions got here with 2 batteries proper from the beginning together with an exterior charging module.
- SirKronan: With a repairability rating of 9/10 and a literal PULL TAB to interchange the battery, that is the best battery substitute in a flagship cellphone we’ve seen in YEARS. You should not have any hassle getting a neighborhood store to simply, cheaply, and shortly exchange this battery for you in a couple of years. Then, you’re good to go till you want the subsequent battery. Such a modern, waterproof machine is understandably sealed.
- fearlessferret: I suppose it solely takes a decade for opinions that get you bullied to turn out to be revered mainstream opinion. Even only a few years in the past, I used to be mocked for expressing the very same sentiment. What occurred? Was the fitting to restore motion merely that profitable? Regardless, I’m joyful that folks don’t suppose that arguing that OEMs needs to be in keeping with what components of the cellphone get assist is loopy or “behind the occasions” anymore.
- Mayne: Detachable batteries implies that they’ll’t power you to ponder between changing new battery on the retailer or outright shopping for a brand new cellphone.
- jim krom: Good factor that in two years time the EU will make consumer replaceable batteries a legislation, then we’ll not have to fret
- Johne-bike: Whole nonsense so far as I’m involved..Simply had the battery changed on our 3 12 months previous and nonetheless excellent Be aware 20 Extremely at our official Samsung Service Centre in NE Thailand the place we reside. Worth for the job was lower than 30USD and carried out whereas we waited in a really snug Samsung reception space..The place’s the issue?
- Avieshek: The battery substitute mechanism doesn’t should be so simple as the bygone days to account for sturdiness, structural rigidity or water resistance however could possibly be device based mostly just like the sim card ejector device if not an allen key for instance that’s accessible to all customers as an alternative of needing exact devices and managed setting if not educated consultants. The truth is, why even restrict the argument to only smartphones as an alternative of smartwatches to bluetooth headphones just like the AirPods that are mainly discarded to landfills after two years?